Terms & Conditions
We respectfully remind guests that a reservation constitutes a contract between themselves and Burness House. By taking your reservation together with a deposit; Burness House agrees to keep a room or rooms available to you, to the exclusion of all others, for the dates you requested.
A room cancellation in a Hotel may amount to less than 2% of its total capacity, however each room at Burness House represents 20% of its capacity thus a cancellation has a far greater effect, for this reason Burness House & many Guest House cancellation policies in general, in St Andrews are different to those of the Hotels.
We regret the necessity of cancellation charges but the situation where we hold bookings in good faith, then suffer non-arrivals, as has occasionally happened in the past is no longer sustainable. We wish to promote the best possible relationship with our Guests and have introduced the following payment & cancellation policy; we trust that our Guests will consider this to be fair and reasonable.
Booking enquiries can be made through our website on the booking enquiry form, we also take bookings directly by email and also by phone, in all cases the lead Guest will be asked for Credit/ Debit Card details.
Deposits & Payment
Deposits are required before confirmation of booking is acknowledged by Burness House.
Payments can be made by secure link embedded in email , credit/debit card, cheque or Bank Transfer. The deposit is equal to the cost of your first nights stay for each of the rooms taken and is non refundable, unless otherwise stated (see Notes). The remaining balances are normally payable during your stay at Burness House, unless otherwise stated (see Notes).
Cancellation & Refunds
- Cancellation should be made by the lead person, clearly stating name, relevant dates & room types.
- Cancellations can be made by email (preferred) telephone call followed by email/letter.
- Answer phone messages are not acceptable as the clarity of the left message cannot be guaranteed.
- Provided cancellation is made 28 days (4 weeks) or more prior to the due date of arrival, no charges will be payable for the balance of the stay, unless otherwise stated (see Notes).
- One night bookings at Burness House, the deposit (the full cost of your stay) is non-refundable.
- In the event of cancellations within 28 days of the due arrival, no shows, alterations or reduction of numbers by the client, Burness House will undertake to mitigate its losses and to re-let the room at similar rates.
- The Guest will be responsible for the loss incurred by the Guest House in the event that rooms remain unoccupied, or are occupied at a lower rate than that for the date the room was originally booked.
- The cancellation charges imposed by Burness House will therefore reflect the actual loss, and will be taken from the Credit Card details given at the time of booking
- It is the sole responsibility of the Guest to have an appropriate and valid Travel/ Holiday insurance cover, to compensate them for any financial loss, due to cancellation of their stay at Burness House.
Guests are advised to have an appropriate Travel/ Holiday insurance cover, to compensate them for any financial loss, due to any unforeseen cancellation of their stay.
Separate Cancellation Policies and deposit requests may apply at our discretion when major events are being held in St. Andrews, Golf Tournaments and Graduation week and also to large group or long duration bookings.
Special or different Terms & Conditions, Payment and Cancellation Policies, might apply to our regular Golf Agents/Tour Operators and annual guests.
Check in and Check out times
- Check in is 2.00pm onwards, unless otherwise agreed.
- Guests are asked to provide an accurate estimate time of arrival, we realise circumstances can change, we ask that you to keep us informed if your arrival times.
- Guests are asked to vacate the property by 10am on day of departure, unless previously agreed.
- Burness House is a Non Smoking property, it is against Scottish Law to smoke in the property.
- The property must be respected and looked after during any stay.
- An extra cleaning charge may be applied, if the property as been left unreasonably untidy.
- All damage/losses/breakages incurred at the property, or to the furnishings, must be reported to the owners immediately and paid for prior to departure.
- Guest are asked to be courteous and polite to the Owners and their Staff at all times.
- The Owners or the Managers reserve the right to ask Guests to leave the premises without recompense if they feel the Guest/s are acting in an aggressive, unreasonable or offensive manner to themselves, other Guests or the property itself.